Tuesday, February 5, 2008

We Got a Live One!

The list of agencies arrived. Jose and I pored over it and picked a shortlist of organizations in our area. Today I picked up the phone and made the calls.

The voicemail at the first agency I called informed me that my contact had moved to a different office. I called the main number instead. The woman who answered sounded vague, but gave me another number I should call. I sat through the message in English and then again in high school level Spanish and finally was given two choices, neither of which seemed to apply to me. I chose the closest one and was given five other menu options, none of which even closely matched my needs. I hung up and moved on to the next agency.

At the next agency, the phone was answered by a pleasant young woman and I explained to her that I was looking for information about adoption.

"Domestic or international?" she asked in the same voice I'd expect to say, "Paper or plastic?"

"Domestic," I told her.

"For a newborn?"

"No," I said. "We're looking to adopt from foster care."

She perked up instantly. "Oh," she said, but I wouldn't have been surprised to here her yell to the back office, "We got a live one!"

She promptly explained that I needed to speak to the Director, who was in a meeting at that moment, but would call me in the morning if I left a message. I did.

Finally, my last call was answered by a very enthusiastic woman, who looked up when the next orientation was, told me it was this Thursday and asked me if I'd like to attend. I told her I would. She said the director would call me in the morning to confirm and answer any questions.

So, that's it. We're off. I feel very encouraged. It's clear from the literature included with the agency list and from the reaction of the receptionist, that adoptive parents for foster children are needed. Agencies are looking to approve rather than eliminate potential parents. That's good for us.

No comments: