Sunday, February 24, 2008

Is It March 5th Yet?

Could the time move any slower? While on the one hand, I find myself complaining that it’s already the end of February and I don’t know where the year is going, on the other, I’m watching the calendar, waiting for our next orientation.

On March 5th we’re going to the Westside Children’s Center, another agency in Culver City. Janel, their recruiter sent me a great information packet that includes the schedule for their training program. I have really high hopes for this organization for the following reasons:

1. They’re closer to home, only about a half-hour drive, okay 40 minutes, but still closer than Vista Del Mar.
2. Their training program begins the week after the orientation and graduation takes place the week before the next VDM session even begins! This is a big one. I’m really antsy to get the ball rolling. I have so many questions that I don’t even know where to begin asking and I know that many of them will be answered during the training.
3. Another big one. That horrible woman who was at VDM is unlikely to be here, too. Trivial? Maybe, but I intend to put my best side out on display and I’m afraid any time spent with that woman might bring out the other side in me. It’s there, but it’s been trained to behave—usually.

I’m on something of a roller coaster at the moment. I’m excited mainly. This really feels like our chance to have a family and I’ve been ready for a long time, so I just want to get on with it. I’m thinking about having Christmas with children—like this Christmas. I’m thinking about taking bike rides with kids, going to the movies, playing games, teaching them how to grow vegetables. The list of things I’m looking forward to is endless. But I’m a little bit afraid, too. I just don’t know what to expect. And how do you learn to be a parent overnight? And to a child who, more than anything else needs good parents? I know we can do this, but it doesn’t mean I’m not scared witless.

Not scared enough to back out though. Roll on March 5th!

4 comments:

Tamsin said...

In answer to your question, you simply can't learn to be a parent overnight. You constantly learn and grow as your child grows, and nobody has all the answers! We're all trying furiously to keep up! What's important is the love and desire to be a parent. Guess what - you and Jose have certainly got that covered. Just relax and enjoy the ride! Can't wait to hear how the next Orientation goes...

Lisa said...

Can kids sense fear?

It's somewhat reassuring to know that even the ones that look as if they have it all under control are out there just making it up as they go along. Acting? I can do that. ;-)

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. It's going to be a fun ride.

Anonymous said...

keeping my fingers crossed. and if all else fails, you can always adopt my brother. sure, he's almost 36 already and married. but somehow he keeps getting chubbier and losing his hair, so i think he might just evolute back to being a baby again. but then, so do all men...

Lisa said...

Gosh, Antonia, that's a really generous offer, but a 36 year old child is not exactly what I had in mind. :-)