Tuesday, January 22, 2008

In the Beginning

Someone somewhere must have been trying to tell me something.

Long before Jose and I had made our final decision to adopt, I started hearing a public service announcement on the radio at work. There was a young man telling his father what a great dad he is, and it’s clear they’re part of a perfect family unit. There was an 800 number to call and a website to visit, but it wasn’t until I’d heard the commercial for several weeks that I actually listened and realized it was promoting adoption of children in the U.S. The organization is called Adopt US Kids and they help guide couples through the adoption process and connect them with adoption agencies in their local area.

Today, Jose and I found out that, without resorting to unpleasant medical tinkering, it is unlikely that I will ever become pregnant. This has been a journey of almost four years for us. It’s a long story and I’ll spare you the details, but we decided early on in the process that if we had to choose between IVF and adoption, that adoption would be the way to go. In fact, at the very beginning of the story, we discussed the possibility of adopting children even if we were able to produce biological offspring. It seemed like the right thing to do for us.

So, without any hesitation, I sent for an information packet.

No comments: