Friday, January 25, 2008

Step One

The adoption packet arrived today. It’s a tiny little thing with some information sheets and a small workbook. I read the whole thing cover-to-cover before I’d even taken off my shoes. This is definitely going to be for us.

On the What is Adoption page it lists the kinds of people who adopt. The list addresses several of my concerns:
  • People who rent (us)
  • People who have lots of money and people who don’t (both apply to us at different times)
  • People of all races, ages, and faiths. This has been a concern for us as Jose is over 50 and some countries don’t permit adoption to older people.
Finally, the list includes “People who are not perfect.” I am very encouraged to see this.

The workbook shows a seven-step journey. The first step is “First Contact” where we make the initial phone call to an agency. They’ve definitely missed a step. How do you go about finding an agency in the first place? I scanned the book, but this information is most noticeable by it’s absence.

When I sent for the packet I was told that someone would contact me within a few days. I’ve decided to wait for the phone call and ask that person my question.

No comments: