We have selected our agency and next week we begin our 30 hours of training. Nervous? M-m-m-me?
Yes.
The training covers all the possible issues we may encounter in adopting a child from foster care, things like behavior problems, health issues, attachment issues, and dealing with birth parents, who may very well be still a part of the child’s life. I’m confident we’ll be well educated in all these matters, but it doesn’t stop me from being nervous--and excited. We’re really going to do this.
We selected our agency on some partly defined criteria. Jose preferred Vista Del Mar (the first agency we looked at). He felt they were more organized and experienced. I felt more comfortable at Westside Children’s Center and liked the other people in the room better. It sounds silly, but these are the people we will be spending 30 hours with and they will also be the ones forming our support network as we venture out. I certainly don’t want to have to rely on the woman from the place for my gentle, nurturing encouragement!!
The deciding factor was that Westside’s training program starts next week as opposed to next month. Being anxious to get started isn’t the same as rushing into something. We’re certainly not diving into this journey without having talked it through. This is definitely something we know we want to see through. Knowing this, I’m really anxious to get started.
More to come…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
yay, can't wait to her about your training program - and hope to learn something myself from it :)
Hi, Lisa, I'm new to your site and am so encouraged by what you have written so far. Sounds like things are falling into place for you and your husband, that you are meeting the right people and all the information you need is coming at just the right time. I'm looking forward to following your journey. Also, I hope other readers will share their experiences, giving all of us needed info...and hope!
Thank you for your encouraging words. I'm hoping to share what I learn with others who may be considering adoption, but I would also love to hear from anyone who's made this journey already and can share some insight.
As for "hope" I have a feeling it may become the word for this entire experience. :-)
Post a Comment