Monday, June 9, 2008

The Calm After the Storm

Vacations are good for the soul. In fact, I maintain that half the issues of our stressed society could be resolved if people just took some time off to relax, unwind, and gain some perspective. 

Jose and I have been on an adoption vacation for over a month now and I realized, while I was out taking a hike through the trees last Saturday that I feel calm. My mind is no longer racing with the what-ifs of our decision to adopt. The chaos that I talked about before has settled, not so much into a slow swinging pendulum, but really to a barely perceptible vibration. Yes, I’m still weighing the pros and cons of adopting a foster child. Yes, I’m still considering whether parenthood is the right thing for me at all. But these are thoughts that merely pass through my mind, create a small ripple, and then move along.

It’s a very welcome relief from the frenetic analysis of the past few months, and I think that in this state of calm contemplation, my subconscious mind will take all the facts and present me—eventually—with an appropriate decision.

At least that’s what I’m hoping for.



No comments: