The Beast has risen its head again. For almost three months now we’ve been pretending to not think about adoption. We’ve been doing a good job of convincing ourselves that this really isn’t for us, and it seems to be working. Then, last week, we had dinner with our friends T & S, from the classes we took. Despite all kinds of hurdles, they are moving forward. They are now licensed and are beginning the process of finding a child that would be an appropriate match. Jose and I are watching every detail of their journey, analyzing, assessing, and I think imagining ourselves in that position.
Two days later, Jose brought me a copy of an in-flight magazine I’d like to write for. I flipped to the back page essay; it was about a couple who decided to adopt from the foster care system. I related to every word she wrote.
The LA Times this week had an article about reforms underway in the system. On Friday we’re having dinner with another couple, who are also moving ahead with an adoption.
Despite our best efforts to bury our heads in the sand and avoid the issue, the Universe seems to be conspiring to force us to face reality. Knowing what we know now has caused us to question if this is right for us, but that same knowledge makes it hard to walk away when we have a home for a child who needs it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment